From Library Success: A Best Practices Wiki
 Success Stories
RSS is a family of XML file formats for web syndication used by news websites and weblogs. RSS allows a website's frequent readers to track updates on the site using a news aggregator or a Firefox live bookmark. It provides an easy method to republish information from one source (a weblog, a news service, a database) to another through such tools as Feed2JS.
- RSS4Lib -- Innovative ways libraries are using RSS.
- Creating an RSS feed of the books you have checked out of the library
- RSS feeds at the Denver Public Library
- College and University Feed Directory - Collection of RSS and Atom feeds from around Higher Education.
- Educational Feeds and Podcasts - Large directory of RSS feeds related to education. Many feeds are from schools, colleges and universities.
- Government Feeds and Podcasts - Directory of RSS feeds from state, local and federal agencies including the Library of Congress.
 Examples of RSS from the Catalog
If your library is offering RSS feeds out of your catalog, please note the URL here under your vendor's heading and include the software version you are running on. Please also note if the feeds are provided natively out of the OPAC or if you have implemented them using your own programmer(s). Even better, if you or someone else is displaying one or more of those feeds on a website, please include a link to it!
SAPHIR (Swiss Automated Public Health Information Resources), catalog searches. Subject Feeds (news and recently cataloged titles) also displayed on the library web site. Implementations by the system librarian, Pablo Iriarte (work described at http://archivesic.ccsd.cnrs.fr/sic_00079211)
Pepperdine University Libraries - vendor generated. Recently Cataloged Titles generated from catalog database.
Z. Smith Reynolds Library at Wake Forest University Recently Cataloged Titles
K-State Libraries, Kansas State University New Books RSS Feeds- created by our programmer, Harish Maringanti.
UBC Library, University of British Columbia New Materials at UBC Library - created by Doug Brigham.
Coastal Bend College Library - vendor hosted, New Titles RSS Feed - generated by catalog database.
 Ex Libris
MIT Libraries Recent additions to the collection
Baylor University Libraries New Materials RSS feeds
Cambridge Libraries New materials feeds generated using data exported from the ILS.
 Insight Informatics
Riverina Library - user generated from search results and add to google link. RSS links for on loan items and library messages (Libero)
Upper Murray Regional Library - user generated from search results, members on loan items and library messages (Libero)
Southlake Public Library - new items (Polaris 3.2)
Cherry Hill Public Library User driven RSS feeds from any catalog search. (Unicorn and Rooms)
DeKalb County Public Library Many different catalog feeds
Knox County Public Library User driven RSS feeds from any catalog search. More integrated RSS available after signing in. (Unicorn and Rooms)
Hennepin County Library - catalog searches, items out and holds ready for pickup (home-brewed scripts). New titles feeds also generated from catalog database. (Horizon 7.x/HIP 3.06.A)
Seattle Public Library - catalog searches, items out and holds from Library account. Feeds also generated from popular and new lists (IPAC).
University of Huddersfield Library - catalog searches and account information (loans, holds, fines, etc). (Horizon 7.34/HIP 3.08)
University of Alberta Libraries Dozens of specialized feeds of new books by library and call number. (Unicorn)
 The Library Corporation
Allegany County Library System users can perform a search, scroll down and click the orange RSS button, copy the URL, and paste it into a news reader like Bloglines. The library has informational brochures to assist patrons in the initial setup of Bloglines and feeds from our PAC. We are using Library.Solution version 3.3.5
 Examples of RSS from the Events Calendar
RSS can also be used to display library events that are pulled from the library's Calendars. Here are some examples (please add to this list):
- DeKalb County Public Library (GA) Events RSS. Also: Customizable User driven Events Feed
- Phoenix Public Library (AZ) Program Feed
 Specific Blog Posts, Articles, and Presentations on Collaborative Tools
- Wusteman, Judith. "RSS: the latest feed." Library Hi Tech 22.4 (2004): 404-413.
- Iriarte, Pablo. "La diffusion de l'information documentaire et des actualités en format RSS : un exemple de mise en place au Centre de Documentation en Santé Publique de Lausanne.". [Chapter] Document numérique et société, 1ère édition, sous la dir. de Ghislaine Chartron et Evelyne Broudoux. Actes de la conférence organisée dans le cadre de la Semaine du document numérique à Fribourg (Suisse) les 20 et 21 septembre 2006. ADBS Éditions, 2006, p. 123-147
- Hadlock, Kris. Creating a Custom RSS Feed with PHP and MySQL