- 1 Library Website Hall of Fame
- 2 Successful Re-Design Projects
- 3 Usability Tips
- 4 Accessibility
- 5 Web Tools
- 6 Blogs/Websites to Watch
- 7 Specific Blog Posts/Articles to Check out
Library Website Hall of Fame
Is there a library website with which you are particularly impressed? You can put a link to it here -- with some comments if you'd like.
- Augustana College Tredway Library
- BYU Harold B. Lee Library
- California State University, Fresno
- California State University San Marcos
- The Claremont Colleges
- College of Saint Benedict/ Saint John's University
- Cornell University Library
- Emerson College Library
- Georgia State University Library
- Harvard Business School Baker Library
- Ithaca College Library
- MIT Libraries
- North Carolina State University Libraries
- the University of Connecticut Research Database Locator
- UCLA Library
- University of California Riverside Libraries
- University of Minnesota Libraries
- University of Notre Dame Libraries
- University of Oklahoma Libraries
- University of Saskatchewan Library
- University of Southampton
- University of Southern California
- University of Texas libraries
- University of Washington Libraries
- Western Michigan University Libraries
- Williams College Library
- University of Seville Library
- STIKOM SURABAYA Library
- University of Central Florida
- Ann Arbor District Library
- Arlington Heights Memorial Library
- Bedford Public Library, Texas
- Boston Public Library
- Burlington County Library System, NJ
- Bibliothèque Nationale de France
- Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh
- Central Rappahannock Regional Library (AnswerPoint)
- Christchurch City Libraries
- Contra Costa County Library
- Denver Public Library
- DOK Delft Public Library, Netherlands
- Library, Institute of Technology Sligo Ireland
- Enoch Pratt Free Library, Baltimore, Maryland
- Ellensburg Public Library, Ellensburg Washington
- Hennepin County Library, Minnesota
- Iowa City Public Library, Iowa
- Jackson-George Regional Library System - Mississippi
- Johnson County Library, Kansas
- Kansas City Public Library
- Morton Grove Public Library
- Mount Prospect Public Library
- New York Public Library
- Orange County Library System
- Osceola Library System
- Palmerston North City Library
- Phoenix Public Library
- Royal Oak Public Library, Michigan
- Sala Borsa Library of Bologna, Italy
- Salinas, CA Public Library - John Steinbeck
- Seattle Public Library
- St. Charles, IL Public Library
- Stockholm Public Library First real Library 2.0?!
- Stockton-San Joaquin County Public Library
- Thomas Ford Memorial Library
- Toronto Public Library
- Westerville, Ohio, Public Library
- Weld Library District, Colorado
- West Milford Township Public Library, New Jersey
- NASA Headquarters Library Site directory on the front page enables quick navigation.
Successful Re-Design Projects
To view cached pages of a website's previous look, visit: WayBack Machine
Salinas Public Library, Salinas, California - Complete re-design which incorporated new content, navigation structure, and usability.
Sussex County Department of Libraries, Georgetown, Delaware - New content added, overall design retooled, accessibility and usability incorporated.
Lessons learned: aadl.org 3.0 - overview of what it took to get a successful overhaul implemented.
UAA/APU Consortium Library '05 Re-Design - overview of process.
Allan Bean Centre Library: http://www.burwood.org.nz/library.asp. A special library in New Zealand for people with spinal injury, brain injury, strokes etc and their families.
University of Washington Libraries 2004 redesign - overview of process
Johnson County Library (KS) - Timeframe for redevelopment, usability studies, and results reporting 2007
- Best books on usability and web interface design
- Top Ten Mistakes in Web Design
- Library Terms That Users Understand
- Research-Based Web Design and Usability Guidelines
- 90% of All Usability Testing is Useless
- How to Design Library Web Sites to Maximize Usability - second edition (2007)
- Sinking or Swimming: The State of Web Sites in Ohio's Public Libraries
- Web Presence for Internet Librarians Notes from a presentation given by Shari Thurow at Internet Librarian 2006
Accessibility Standards and Guidelines
- W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
- W3C References on Web Accessibility
- Section 508 Standards -- Under the Federal Rehabilitation Act (U.S.)
- State Accessibility Laws, Policies, Standards and Other Resources (U.S.)
- Browser Emulator -- Check pages in a number of ancient browsers.
- html2txt -- W3C's text browser simulation.
- Lynx Viewer -- See how your pages look in a text-only browser. (Requires a blank file named delorie.htm on your Web server.)
- WebXACT -- The accessibility tester formerly known as Bobby. No longer free.
- Colorblind Web Page Filter
- WAVE Accessibility Tool
- Cynthia Says
- Web Accessibility Toolbar provided by the Accessible Information Solutions (AIS) team at the National Information and Library Service (NILS), Australia (Internet Explorer only)
- Fangs Screen Reader Emulator A Firefox Extension that renders a text version of a web page similar to screen reader output. Helps developers find accessibility issues fast
- Free Accessibility Plugins for Macromedia Dreamweaver: Section 508 and W3C-WAI/WCAG Priority 1 and Priority 2 guidelines checker from UsableNet
- Babel Fish Language Translator
- Jaws Screen Reader (text to audio) for blind people
- Firefox Accessibility Extension A Firefox extension used by people with disabilities and web developers
- W3C's Accessibility Checklist
- Accessible Site Design Guide
- WebJunction's Accessibility topic, with articles & discussions for library website accessibility
- Color Box - Design custom colors with draggable hue and saturation levels, and view the corresponding hex value.
- Total Validator - Checks spelling, html errors, and urls.
- BrowserCam -- I used this during a redesign process and it was well worth the $$
- Browsershots -- Free service similar to BrowserCam
Blogs/Websites to Watch
- 456 Berea Street: "Most articles on this site are related to web standards, accessibility, or usability in one way or another"
- Accessible Design for Library Websites
- Library Webmaster Resources Although this website hasn't been updated since March 2005 it still contains many useful annotated links.
- A List Apart: "A List Apart Magazine (ISSN: 1534-0295) explores the design, development, and meaning of web content, with a special focus on techniques and benefits of designing with web standards."
- SitePoint: "One of the best 'web professional' sites with a strong standards emphasis and also good for latest technologies"
- Web Style Glossary Terms
- Web Style Guide
- Brain Sparks by Jared Spool
- User's Lib "usability, accessibility, functionality, & aesthetics towards a more usable library."
- WordPress for Libraries (wp4lib) Wiki: "a community for people interested in using WordPress for library websites"
Specific Blog Posts/Articles to Check out
- WebJunction's website development topic, with discussions, articles, and groups