Social bookmarking is a method for Internet users to organize, store, manage and search for bookmarks of resources online. Unlike file sharing, the resources themselves aren't shared, merely bookmarks that reference them. Social bookmarking can be used to foster collaboration and sharing of collections of online content.
Social Bookmarking Services
Further Info on Social Bookmarking
- Akerman, Richard. "CiteULike Academic Article Bookmarking." Science Library Pad. 11 December 2007. Retrieved 8 April 2008.
- Common Craft. "Social Bookmarking in Plain English." 6 August 2007. Retrieved 7 April 2008.
- Hammond, Tony, Timo Hannay, Ben Lund, and Joanna Scott. "Social Bookmarking Tools (I): A General Review." D-Lib 11.4 (2005). Retrived 8 April 2008.
- Rethlefsen, Melissa L. Tags Help Make Libraries Del.icio.us 15 September 2007. Retrieved 11 March 2011.
Uses in Libraries
Sharing Set of Links
- Assumption College for Sisters Library: bookmarks on delicious
- Bibliothèques de l'Université Paris-Sorbonne (Paris-IV): bookmarks on delicious
- Chelmsford Public Library: bookmarks on delicious
- Dublin City Public Libraries: bookmarks on delicious
- Seldovia Library: bookmarks on delicious
- Seminole County Public Library: bookmarks on delicious
- La Grange Park Library: bookmarks on delicious
- Marathon County Public Library (MCPL): bookmarks for children on delicious
- McMurry University Library: bookmarks on delicious
- Nebraska Library Commission: NLC_Reference’s bookmarks on delicious
- Rapid City Public Library: bookmarks on diigo
- Sandhills Branch Library: bookmarks on delicious
- Springfield Technical Community College Library: bookmarks on delicious
- University of Michigan, Dentistry Library: bookmarks on delicious
- Witkin State Law Library of California: bookmarks on delicious
Republishing Link Lists on Library Web Sites
A number of libraries use social bookmarking tools to maintain a set of links to key resources.
- CSU-Pueblo Library uses delicious to display their delicious picks on their library website.
- Cubberley Education Library uses a tag cloud to display their delicious bookmarks.
- Holdrege Public Library uses delicious tag clouds on their "Links we Love", Kid’s Zone and TeenSpace. Each page has a separate delicious account:
- MIT Libraries Virtual Reference Collection
- Duke University Libraries: Connotea
- Library web page explains to students/faculty at Duke University how to connect to licensed resources that are bookmarked in Connotea.
Further Information on Social Bookmarking and Libraries
- Bridgewater, Rachel. "A Little More Help from Your Friends: Social Bookmarking." Presentation at SirsiDynix Institute, 13 November 2007. Retrieved 8 April 2008.