Services for Older Adults
Tips for Providing Quality Services for Older Adults
Basic Health Information Literacy for Seniors As part of our Bridge to Health Information Literacy for Denver project, funded by the National Network of Libraries of Medicine, the Denver Public Library purchased 10 17 inch laptops and carrying cases that allow us to go to locations in the community where people already gather.
- Americans for Libraries Council (2006) Designs for change : libraries and productive aging : report on the National Library Leaders Forum
- S.Fox & M. Madden (2006). Generations Online. Washington, DC: Pew Internet and American Life Project.
- R. Honnold and S.A. Mesaros (2004) Serving Seniors: a How To Do It Manual for Librarians Take a look for a collection of services and programs for older adults provided by libraries across the US and Canada.
- M. Joseph (2006) Active, engaged, valued: Older People and NSW Public Libraries trends, current research, stakeholders and recommendations to support strategic planning within the NSW public library network[Australia]
- B.T. Mates (2003) 5-star programming and services for your 55+ library customers
Blogs/Websites to Watch
- Services to Older Adults from WebJunction.
- Senior Friendly Libraries: Resources and discussion about library services to older adults "The purpose of this blog is to provide resources for librarians including: research on aging as it influences library services, library research on "older adults", incorporating Library 2.0 features for "older adults", and examples of successful "older adult" library services and programs. In addition, I hope to make librarians aware of the need to market services to older adults in their community"
- Senior Spaces
- Active, engaged, valued: older people and public libraries "Exploring the impact of the ‘age wave’ on library services, programming, marketing, and facilities."
Specific Blog Posts/Articles to Check Out
- Hangouts Feed Souls of Lonely About places seniors frequent and how the library can be included.