From Library Success: A Best Practices Wiki
Revision as of 16:40, 27 December 2013 by Meredith (Reverted edits by Pierre Follow (talk) to last revision by Meredith)
Place information regarding internet related search engines on this site, including specialized engines and how they are special. Perhaps there is a diamond in the rough here that you haven't heard about.
Search Engine List
- 43Marks - Search Google, Yahoo, Bing, and Wikipedia + Your personal bookmarks on one page
- Altavista - Somewhat unique-searches for audio and video.
- A9 - Has a lot of creative features to make you want them as your homepage.
- Clusty - Vivisimos newer (8-25-05) end user clustering metasearch engine- searches blogs.
- Compfight - Image search based on Flickr, great for finding creative commons images.
- Mooter - Creates a "mind map" of related terms to help narrow your search.
- Singingfish-Searches for audio and video.
- Blingo - Win prizes as you search! Powered by Google.
- Grokker - A visually-oriented search engine. Powered by Yahoo.
- Spezify An interesting visual metasearch engine.
- Ask.com - Formerly Ask Jeeves, includes a good engine for image searches.
- Google Scholar
- EAD Central - Archivopedia's federated search tool to locate primary source materials at various repositories around the world
- SMEALSearch - Business
- CiteSeer.IST - Computer and information science
- INFOMINE - Scholarly Internet Resources
- PubMed - Health sciences
- Scirus - Science search engine pertaining to biological sciences, medicine, pharmacology, chemistry, environmental sciences, life sciences, social sciences, and more.
- Citebase - Science
- Windows Live Academic (Beta) - Computer science, physics, electrical engineering
- VADLO Search Engine - Search engine for Research methods, Online tools, Databases, Software, and Powerpoint Lectures for all branches of Life sciences and Medicine.
Health Information Engines
- PubMed - Mostly citations with or without abstracts, but results also include some full-text. Strongly research-oriented. Service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine.
- MedlinePlus - Consumer health information. Service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine.
- Health on the Net Medhunt
- Kosmix - Categorizes results in the left-hand column, making results easier to navigate.
- Omnimedicalsearch.com - Metasearch engine. Returns combined results from other search engines.
- Medical and Health Feeds - Search engine to locate medical and health related RSS feeds and podcasts.
- CiteHealth - Consumer search engine on health care providers. Returns results from it's own search index.
- MedicalNDX - Metasearch engine. Returns combined results from it's own search index and from other search engines.
Search Utility List
- Copernicus Agent
Information Sources About Search Engines
- Search Engine Watch - A site devoted to keeping abreast on the what's what of search engines.
- Thumbshots Ranking - A web site for comparing search engines with each other.
- Pandia Search Central - Search engine news, tutuorials; free newsletter.
- Choose the Best Search for Your Information Need- Search strategies based on an analysis of your topic. Also try NoodleQuest (the interactive version).