Resources for Library & Information Technology students
From Library Success: A Best Practices Wiki
Revision as of 03:02, 27 December 2006 by C.B.
This is a new section (Jan, 2007). Feel free to add whatever content and links may be of use to anyone studying in the field of Library & Information Technology, whether towards a Masters of Library Science or a certificate program. --C.B.
Library blogs, journals & forums of particular interest to students
- Library Lovers' LiveJournal - a well used forum with lively conversation and many topics of relevance for students.
- Library Student Journal - an open submission, peer-reviewed student publication of the University at Buffalo Department of Library and Information Studies.
- Librarian Wannabes - questions and concerns about papers and projects, ideas and thoughts . . . sign up at Yahoo!Groups.
Important Books & Resources
- The Librarian’s Career Guidebook, Priscilla K. Shontz ed. (Lanham, MD: Scarecrow Press, 2004) - reviewed by Deborah Hicks, Dalhousie University (Nova Scotia, Canada) in the Library Student Journal for November 2006.
- Characteristics of the Successful 21st Century Information Professional, Dennie Heye (Oxford: Chandos Publishing, 2006) - reviewd by Mary Ellen Bates for Library Associates LibBlog (n.d.).
- FlashcardExchange - at the moment there is only a small set of cards for studying MARC. But this site has the potential to develop into a tremendous study aid with just a few more contributions.
Library Job Futures
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics- U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook for Library Technicians