From Library Success: A Best Practices Wiki
Place information regarding internet related search engines on this site, including specialized engines and how they are special. Perhaps there is a diamond in the rough here that you haven't heard about.
Search Engine List
- 43Marks - Search Google, Yahoo, Bing, and Wikipedia + Your personal bookmarks on one page
- Altavista - Somewhat unique-searches for audio and video.
- A9 - Has a lot of creative features to make you want them as your homepage.
- Clusty - Vivisimos newer (8-25-05) end user clustering metasearch engine- searches blogs.
- Compfight - Image search based on Flickr, great for finding creative commons images.
- Mooter - Creates a "mind map" of related terms to help narrow your search.
- Singingfish-Searches for audio and video.
- Blingo - Win prizes as you search! Powered by Google.
- Grokker - A visually-oriented search engine. Powered by Yahoo.
- Spezify An interesting visual metasearch engine.
- Ask.com - Formerly Ask Jeeves, includes a good engine for image searches.
- Google Scholar
- EAD Central - Archivopedia's federated search tool to locate primary source materials at various repositories around the world
- SMEALSearch - Business
- CiteSeer.IST - Computer and information science
- INFOMINE - Scholarly Internet Resources
- PubMed - Health sciences
- Scirus - Science search engine pertaining to biological sciences, medicine, pharmacology, chemistry, environmental sciences, life sciences, social sciences, and more.
- Citebase - Science
- Windows Live Academic (Beta) - Computer science, physics, electrical engineering
- VADLO Search Engine - Search engine for Research methods, Online tools, Databases, Software, and Powerpoint Lectures for all branches of Life sciences and Medicine.
- Scientillion - Search engine for quantitative science
Health Information Engines
- PubMed - Mostly citations with or without abstracts, but results also include some full-text. Strongly research-oriented. Service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine.
- MedlinePlus - Consumer health information. Service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine.
- Health on the Net Medhunt
- Kosmix - Categorizes results in the left-hand column, making results easier to navigate.
- Omnimedicalsearch.com - Metasearch engine. Returns combined results from other search engines.
- Medical and Health Feeds - Search engine to locate medical and health related RSS feeds and podcasts.
- CiteHealth - Consumer search engine on health care providers. Returns results from it's own search index.
- MedicalNDX - Metasearch engine. Returns combined results from it's own search index and from other search engines.
Search Utility List
- Copernicus Agent
Information Sources About Search Engines
- Search Engine Watch - A site devoted to keeping abreast on the what's what of search engines.
- Thumbshots Ranking - A web site for comparing search engines with each other.
- Pandia Search Central - Search engine news, tutuorials; free newsletter.
- Choose the Best Search for Your Information Need- Search strategies based on an analysis of your topic. Also try NoodleQuest (the interactive version).